Bandar Kinrara Community Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
30 October, 2014, 11:08:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
17479 Posts in 1410 Topics by 2345 Members
Latest Member: Credo_boi
* Home Help Search Login Register
Bandar Kinrara Community Forum  |  Community  |  Home Improvement  |  Topic: Renovation Permit 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Renovation Permit  (Read 11793 times)
huang262

View Profile
« on: 13 November, 2005, 02:39:33 PM »

Hi,

Any suggestions on how to get a renovation permit from mpsj?

Thanks.

Richard  ???
dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 13 November, 2005, 03:10:24 PM »

If renovation is done internally, you do not need to apply for a permit. The permit only applies to external renovation works.

You have to first submit your form and renovation plans done by either your contractor or an authorised architect. Most of the time, your contractor will submit the paperwork for you because the design has to adhere to the so-called guidelines of MPSJ.

I believe you can locate the whereabouts of the form and guideline booklets in MPSJ if you call them before making a visit.

After submission, you will have to wait 1-2 months for the approval. If you go ahead with the renovation without waiting for MPSJ's approval, you risk being in violation and they may come tear your house down.

A lot of homeowners take this risk. I believe most contractors have connections with MPSJ personnels and will use bribe to speed up the process, or to get the submission approved. I am not encouraging anyone to do this but it remains a sad fact that this is an option that allows you to "get things done".

EDIT: Submission requires a fee, whichi I think is between RM1000-RM2000.
« Last Edit: 13 November, 2005, 03:28:36 PM by dog » Logged
husagi
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 November, 2005, 08:45:42 PM »

After submission, you will have to wait 1-2 months for the approval. If you go ahead with the renovation without waiting for MPSJ's approval, you risk being in violation and they may come tear your house down.

Tear down your house? LoL. I'm very certain you didn't mean that! The city council will tear down the new structure you've erected, yes. But not your entire property..... unless, your property was illegal to begin with...
Dogtown

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 November, 2005, 01:33:27 PM »

Husagi,

What about the erection of perimeter fencing? Hehe! No pun intended! :P Do I require a permit to put up a 5 foot brick fence?
Can I have your contact no. for further discussion?
Chin

Notorious but Helpful

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 November, 2006, 12:31:28 PM »

Dogtown,

Any extended renovation will definitely require a permit. For examples, extended kitchen will require a standard plan that can be obtained from MPSJ and therefore do not require to submit a detailed drawn plan, however if internal structure requires changes then you will need to submit a structural plan to seek approval.

Please do not believe that MPSJ's staff or Contractors can do wonder to get the approval if your renovation is beyond the limits as stated by MPSJ. If you insisted on illegal renovation then you might face the possibility of your neighbours's complaints that MPSJ might demolish your renovation.

One of my friend's neighbour who was putting up a brick fence to replace the wire mesh fencing faced the offer from my friend to share cost but objected because he cannot met some requirement raised by my friend. He went ahead to do the brick fencing and eventually was sued by my friend and has to demolish the brick fencing and erected back the wire mesh fencing.

Do talk and seek consent from your neighbour unless you do not have immediate neighbour and in which case do check the limits.

I have done a similar brick fencing and has encoutered no problem with my immediate neighbours because I have obtained their consent and complied to their requirements, that is to leave some ventilated gaps.

« Last Edit: 16 November, 2006, 04:28:50 PM by Chin » Logged
kiran

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 November, 2006, 07:16:15 PM »

what is ventilated gaps?
tony

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 November, 2006, 08:01:26 PM »

my contractor told me that after i have renovated the house, I need to apply for a Certificate of Fitness.It is necessary, since approval has been obtained from MPSJ?
huang262

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 November, 2006, 09:32:22 AM »

what is ventilated gaps?

If you build a solid brick wall it will totally stop any breeze or wind. Ventilation holes will allow at least some air movement.
kuncer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 June, 2009, 11:15:36 PM »

Hi,

anyone can share what is the procedure to apply for renovation with mpsj and timeline.
I plan to renovate my house but not sure what is the procedures with authority..

hope someone can share

cheers
king

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 June, 2009, 11:50:15 PM »

The easiest way to obtain a renovation permit is to opt for the standard plan approval. Even the owner can submit themself, no need Architect.

Go to MPSJ to look at the guide book first, if the renovation intended falls within the categories listed, get the book for RM50 (don't know if they have increase the price). Instructions are stated clearly in there. If not will need to engage an Architect to submit for you.

When you submit the completed applications, you should get it within 2 weeks based on my experience previously. Best of all, my approval letter is dated the same day I submitted my application, as if it was an On-The-Spot approval!  :o
Luke7689

Lucky Luke

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 July, 2009, 09:39:54 PM »

What are the penalties if there isn't any renovation permit?  Anyone can clarify?
king

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 July, 2009, 09:19:19 AM »

MPSJ will issue you a compound equivalent to 10 times the building plans processing fees. Therefore the more extension you do, the higher the compound!
summer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 July, 2009, 12:05:05 PM »

can i say if the reno permit from MPSJ is approved and all works done according to the approved drawing, then we r sure to get new cf upon completion of reno work?

if no new cf for the hse, anything happen ie. fire, is it cover under insurance?
Luke7689

Lucky Luke

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 July, 2009, 08:58:56 AM »

King,
How is the building plans processing fees calculated? Is it based on a table or value or what?
king

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17 July, 2009, 04:07:24 PM »

can i say if the reno permit from MPSJ is approved and all works done according to the approved drawing, then we r sure to get new cf upon completion of reno work?

if no new cf for the hse, anything happen ie. fire, is it cover under insurance?

Yep, you will get a CF specifically for your renovated house plus a full refund of your RM500 deposit  :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
Bandar Kinrara Community Forum  |  Community  |  Home Improvement  |  Topic: Renovation Permit « previous next »